The way customers prefer to interact with their utility providers is changing, and your utility billing software has to be able to meet the demands of those changes. The easiest and most cost effective and efficient way to do this is by choosing utility billing software that is not only equipped to thrive today, but also designed with tomorrow in mind. Once you learn more about what today’s utility customer demands, you can make certain that your current system is up to the task of meeting those demands. In doing so, you will be taking important steps toward ensuring the needs of your customers are always coming first.
What Today’s Customer Demands From Your Utility Billing Software
Customers want convenient, functional ways to interact with their utility provider. This means they want to be able to pay their bills, make adjustments to their accounts, and receive important updates when and where it is convenient for them. In order to determine if your utility billing software is able to meet these standards, you need to ask a few important questions.
Does Your Utility Billing Software Offer a User-Friendly Front Facing Portal?
Not only is a user-facing portal almost mandatory for today’s utility customer, it has to be intuitive and easy to navigate—as well as accessible from mobile devices. Customers are interested in accessing their accounts through their mobile browser or from apps on their smartphones, and once they’re logged in, they should always be able to find the information they are looking for as directly as possible.
Is Your Utility Billing Software Fully Featured?
Beyond being convenient, your utility billing software has to provide your customers with the features they demand, both today and in the future. Your customers expect to be able to pay their bills, adjust their account information, and track their usage when and where it’s convenient for them. Intuitively designed utility billing software with a full feature set encourages customer engagement while also improving their overall satisfaction with your services.
Does Your Utility Billing Software Keep Your Customers Informed?
Smart utility billing software can be used to immediately provide your customers with critical information at any time of day. In doing so, they are able to stay informed of any upcoming changes to their services, while reducing call volumes (and subsequent strain) to your customer service department.
The Next Wave of Utility Billing Software Features
A recent survey we conducted highlighted many interesting statistics about a growing number of utility customers, such as:
- 68.8% of survey respondents between the ages of 18-24 prefer to communicate with their utility provider exclusively through a mix of online forms, SMS messaging, and email
- 30.4% of respondents between the ages of 18 – 34 were interested in the ability to provide a trusted friend or family member with limited access to their utility account while they’re away
- 74.2% of all survey respondents said the ability to track usage events would be “useful” or “very useful”
Moving forward, customers will be expecting even more from their utility providers. To see the complete results of this survey, be sure to download The Future of Customer Engagement for Utilities.
Bring Your Utility Billing Software Into the Future With Capricorn
If you’re concerned that your utility billing software isn’t built to deal with future customer demands, Capricorn can help.
Capricorn is a fully featured, cost-effective customer service portal for utilities that can integrate with your existing billing technology. It is customizable, scalable based on need, and provides your customers with the ability to:
- Pay their bills online, when and where it is convenient for them
- Send and receive service issue notifications instantly
- Modify their account information to ensure it is accurate and up-to-date
- Provide friends or family with temporary access to their account in case of emergency or extended absences from the home (e.g. vacations)
- Receive text messages, push notifications, and emails containing important information and updates
- Use online forms to connect directly with their utility
- And more!
Perhaps best of all, Capricorn is regularly updated with new capabilities, meaning you’ll always have access to the latest features as they become available. It’s not enough to merely satisfy customer demands with your utility billing software—you have to be ready to consistently exceed them. To learn more about how Capricorn can help prepare your utility for the future, download our FREE Ultimate Guide to Customer Satisfaction & ROI With Smart Technology today!